Problems tackled: 43,481

Dr Phil: Male breast enlargement (video)

Hello there, I’m Dr Phil. Today we are going to be talking about breast enlargement in boys and men.

It’s pretty common, we both have breasts (men and women). They both have glandular tissue in them as well as fatty tissue. The glandular tissue responds to circulating hormones. Boys and men produce oestrogen, the female hormone, as well as testosterone. Sometimes the levels can fluctuate a bit, particularly during puberty and oestrogen can get the upper hand, which means a lot of young boys have quite big breasts, especially in their early teens between 13 and 14. If you squeeze behind the nipple, often you feel quite a firm mass of tissue and that is actually glandular breast tissue that develops. However, the testosterone gets the upper hand in the later teens, so by the age of 19 or 20 generally the breasts have flattened out again and look more masculine. However, as we get older and a bit fatter our body fat produces oestrogen and this is why most older men tend to have slightly larger breasts.

I’ve got a pair of boobs, I call them ‘Eric’ and ‘Ernie’. They’re not too bad and I just about keep them in check, but they are pretty common. Whether you need to do anything about them I guess depends on how large they are and whether they are causing you much of a problem. Sometimes alcohol can cause breast enlargement, so can taking cannabis and so can taking quite a few prescription drugs, for example drugs for high blood pressure, drugs for stomach ulcers and some drugs for psychiatric conditions. Anabolic steroids can make your testicles shrink and your breasts enlarge, so that seems like good reason to avoid them. Often though it is just fatty tissue that is making them large and the secret probably is to eat a little bit less and drink a little bit less and then you might find your breasts reduce as well.

If your breasts have got to a really large stage and they are causing you a bit of pain/discomfort and embarrassment then there are a couple of surgical options that are available depending on whether it is glandular tissue or the fatty tissue that is causing you the problem. Before you go anywhere near a scalpel you will probably be thoroughly assessed. You might have a few hormone checks done and a thorough physical examination to make sure there is no other cause of your breasts being enlarged. In the case of excess tissue, if it’s the glandular tissue it usually means an incision with a scalpel and actually taking/removing the glandular tissue. If it’s fatty tissue they [healthcare professionals] can use liposuction, which sounds simple, it just sucks the fatty tissue away, but actually it is quite a major procedure. It is pretty painful afterwards, it leads to a fair amount of bruising and it can take 3 or 4 weeks to recover fully, so it is not something to be entered into lightly.

Very rarely men can get breast cancer, so if you find a lump just on one side that feels hard as you knead it against your breast, that is certainly something that needs looking into. In the vast majority of men, you don’t need any treatment, you might pop down to your doctor just to check it out for a bit of reassurance, but it is eating a bit less and drinking a bit less that is likely to do the trick.

If you want to find out more there is plenty of good information on this site ( If you are considering information about any form of cosmetic surgery then visit the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons’ website For more information about me go to

Thank you. 

Written by: Dr Phil Hammond
Edited by: Dr Phil Hammond
Last updated: Friday, October 20th 2017

35 people have
tackled this problem!

Tell us your thoughts

Did you find what you were looking for?

Add a comment

Please note we cannot answer your questions directly. If you are concerned, please talk to your doctor.

Share your stories, tips and solutions here to help others tackle it, move on. As all comments are moderated, there will be a delay before your comment appears.

Discussion content reflects the view of individual participants only. Health Press Limited bear no responsibility for accuracy of participant comments and will bear no legal liability for discussion results. Comments will be moderated before posting and Health Press Limited reserves the right to delete any material. See About our site for our moderation policy

Comments on this article

Posted by Optional on 29/01/2016 at 08:45

I am a boy 0f 25 years and sufferring from large breasts. i feel uncomfortable to wear t-shirts and tight shirts. i need to reduce my breast size please someone help

Posted by mike on 14/12/2015 at 10:51

Hi mam/sir i just wanna ask if there's any cure of male breast enlargement . because when i look at my breast its really bothering not an alcohol drinker. What suggestion or advise that can help a lot .thank you

Posted by Optional on 19/03/2015 at 12:07

hi i am born as man.i am married and i am a father of 1 child. my life is going quite good but for the last few years there is so many changes come in my body like my breast become like woman and my figure also change like woman and for that changes i am so depressed and i cant focus on my work and i cant share this my problem with anyone evan 3 time i tried to suicide. but now i decide to face my this problem and how to change my body changes and become like a full man. please help me to come out form this problem ..

Posted by debababrata das on 07/03/2013 at 02:19

i am a boy 0f 22 years and sufferring from large breasts. i feel uncomfortable to wear t-shirts and tight shirts. i need to reduce my breast size please someone help me.........

Posted by Optional on 31/10/2011 at 04:02

Can homeopathy treatment cured man boobs