Problems tackled: 43,481

DocSpot: Your doctor can help

Unfortunately we cannot send individual answers to the questions we receive, but we do read all your emails. Over the past few years, we have expanded the information on the site, often in response to feedback, so we think we now have the main problems covered. So, if you have a problem, have a good look through all the sections that could possibly be relevant and use the search facility. And if you have any comments about our layout and search facility, let us know, as we are always keen to improve.

The following three problems are from a recent post bag. Have the readers been unable to find the information that they need or are they hoping that a visit to a doctor might not be necessary? While we appreciate some health problems are embarrassing, sometimes the only (and we mean the only) answer is to go and see a doctor.

Dear Dr Margaret
I am 70 years old. Since the last one month or so, when I feel the urge to pass faeces in the morning, I dirty my pants before I am able to reach the bathroom. What can I do?
I feel very sorry for this person who is leaking faeces, because this can really affect one’s life badly. And, yes, there are several things that can be done. Our section on faecal incontinence suggests some of the possible causes of the problem and indicates how they are dealt with. I don’t know whether the reader who wrote this letter had read this section.
Dear Dr Margaret
I think, from what I have read on this site, I am suffering from an anal fissure. However, I find it very embarrassing to go to my doctor. I have been using piles cream and suppositories for a week. Bleeding has stopped, but pain is still present when I need to open my bowels. Is there anything else I can try?
Our section on anal fissure says that, if the problem persists, the next step has to be a visit to your doctor to discuss other treatments. Most people find this somewhat or very embarrassing, so we have posted a separate section on Seeing your doctor about an anal problem.
Dear Dr Margaret
I’ve had a ulcer under my tongue for about 2 months and it’s still there, and there is a weird taste leaking from it. I have a 5 month baby and I haven’t smoked for a year.
This problem – persistent ulcer under the tongue – definitely needs to be examined by a doctor. There are lots of possible reasons, but an early cancer needs to be ruled out. Mouth cancer usually affects older people, but can occur at a younger age. Cancers that are caught and treated early have a much better outlook, so any sore, anywhere on the body, that does not heal should be checked by your doctor.

Last updated; Sunday, August 30th 2020

Tell us your thoughts

Did you find what you were looking for?

Add a comment

Please note we cannot answer your questions directly. If you are concerned, please talk to your doctor.

Share your stories, tips and solutions here to help others tackle it, move on. As all comments are moderated, there will be a delay before your comment appears.

Discussion content reflects the view of individual participants only. Health Press Limited bear no responsibility for accuracy of participant comments and will bear no legal liability for discussion results. Comments will be moderated before posting and Health Press Limited reserves the right to delete any material. See About our site for our moderation policy


View what people have said about DocSpot: Your doctor can help

Latest updates

Dr Phil's latest video
20th September

Anal itching (itchy bottom);
1st August

Nail biting;
23rd April

Nail problems;
23rd April

Varicose veins;
19th April

29th January

embarrassing problems