- Research has shown that men do not have a clear idea of the size of their own penis. Looked at from above, it appears shorter than it really is.
- Men do not have a clear idea of what average is.
- without an erection (limp), the average length was 8.8 cm (just under 3.5 inches)
- the average flaccid (limp) penis could be stretched to 12.4 cm (about 4.75 inches)
- the average length when erect was 12.9 cm (just over 5 inches).
- when limp, an adult penis is between 7.6 cm and 13.0 cm long (3–5 inches approx)
- when limp, the normal girth (i.e. measured round) of an adult penis is between 8.5 cm and 10.5 cm (3¼-4 inches approx)
- when erect, the normal penis length is between 12.7 cm and 17.7 cm (5-7 inches approx)
- when erect, the normal girth of an adult penis is between 11.3 cm and 13.0 cm (4½-5 inches approx).
Shoe size and penis size
Lose a paunch
Injections to make the penis thicker
Surgery to make the penis longer
Penis enlargement surgery has been hyped by spam advertising. 70% of men who have it are dissatisfied with the result because they are expecting an unrealistic result (European Urology 2006;49:729-43). Most men expect the penis to be 5-6 cm longer than is actually possible after the operation.
During the operation the ligaments that attach the penis to the pubic bone are cut. This makes the penis hang down further when it is limp. The average increase in length is only about 1.3 cm (half an inch), although it will be slightly longer if the surgeon inserts a silicone spacer close to the pubic bone. The size of your erection will not be increased. Also, because it no longer has the support of the ligaments, the erect penis will not point as high as before.
The operation can be risky, because important nerves that carry sensation can be damaged and infection or bleeding can also occur, and unsightly scarring is common. If you are considering this operation, make sure that you find a reputable surgeon (look at the section on cosmetic surgery). This may be difficult, because not many surgeons are willing to do this operation, because of the problems associated with it.
Written by: Dr Margaret Stearn
Edited by: Dr Margaret Stearn
Last updated: Thursday, May 17th 2012
Does penis size matter? In part 3 of his penis trilogy, Dr Phil Hammond says "Some women and some men prefer a big one, but most people prefer a clean one and a sense of humour." Click on the video below to find out more about normal size, and penis enlargement and thickening.
Useful contacts for Penis size
Click to see all the contacts that you may find useful in relation to penis problems | Penis size
4796 people have
tackled this problem!
Tell us your thoughts
Did you find what you were looking for?
Add a comment
A problem shared is a problem halved: help others by sharing your frustrations or successes at tackling your health problem.
We have noticed that many of your queries are actually answered on the website, so please read carefully before submitting a comment. As all comments are moderated, there will be a delay before your comment appears. Please note that we cannot respond to individual requests for feedback.