Wigs, hairpieces and hats
Most people with extensive hair loss usually caused by alopecia totalis or cancer chemotherapy prefer to wear a wig. In recent years, wigs have improved greatly and it is no longer painfully obvious that someone is wearing one. The Alopecia UK website (see Useful Contacts) has an excellent section on wigs.
- If you decide to buy your wig privately from a department store, explain your predicament and ask for a private fitting room.
- You will probably feel you look very odd in the first few wigs you try on – partly because you have not seen yourself with hair for a while. Persevere until you find one you like.
- Each time, make sure you put the wig on properly – it is quite easy to put a wig on backwards. (The tapes to adjust the size will be at the back.)
- At home, do not leave your wigs lying around.
- If you feel happier going to bed in your wig, do so.
- Remember that at a party you will not be the only one wearing something false. What about false nails, bosoms and teeth?
Written by: Dr Margaret Stearn
Edited by: Dr Margaret Stearn
Last updated: Friday, February 26th 2010
Useful contacts for Wigs, hairpieces and hats
Click to see all the contacts that you may find useful in relation to hair loss | Wigs, hairpieces and hats
509 people have
tackled this problem!
Tell us your thoughts
Did you find what you were looking for?
Add a comment
A problem shared is a problem halved: help others by sharing your frustrations or successes at tackling your health problem.
We have noticed that many of your queries are actually answered on the website, so please read carefully before submitting a comment. As all comments are moderated, there will be a delay before your comment appears. Please note that we cannot respond to individual requests for feedback.
We each have about 100 000 hairs on the scalp
It is normal to lose 50-100 hairs from the head each day
Each hair on the head grows for about 5 years before being shed
Eyebrow hairs grow for only 10 weeks
Scalp hair grows at a rate of about 1 cm (just under half an inch) a month
A survey has shown that about 7.9 million men and 1.6 million women in the UK have hair loss problems
Each year, American men spend about $900 million on efforts to regrow hair
In the USA and UK, there has not been a bald President or Prime Minister since the television age began
In Old Master paintings, saints are often depicted as bald