Dr Phil: FIPing and buzzing
Why do some doctors buzz you while others fetch you in person?
Ever since the invention of electricity, buzzing has been the norm for doctors who considered it far too secretarial to fetch and carry their patients to and from the waiting room. Early intercoms were not known for their voice quality, and patients were left to guess if they were being summoned, based on a rough crackle and a few syllables of Dalek.
So why hasn't it been replaced?
Lovely. And what about fetching in person?
Should the doctor walk in front or behind?
So FIPing gets your vote?
And it cuts down on mistaken identity?
Any other drawbacks?
Written by: Dr Phil Hammond
Edited by: Dr Phil Hammond
Last updated: Friday, August 13th 2010
Tell us your thoughts
Did you find what you were looking for?
Add a comment
A problem shared is a problem halved: help others by sharing your frustrations or successes at tackling your health problem.
We have noticed that many of your queries are actually answered on the website, so please read carefully before submitting a comment. As all comments are moderated, there will be a delay before your comment appears. Please note that we cannot respond to individual requests for feedback.
- After the menopause
- Anal itching (video)
- Ask me, I'm a doctor
- Bed-wetting (video)
- Body hair (video)
- Body odour
- Bollocks! to embarrassment (video)
- Bowel cancer (video)
- Cheeky bowel syndrome (poem)
- Chlamydia (video)
- Don't be too shy to dial 999
- Female genital cosmetic surgery (video)
- FIPing and buzzing
- Genital infections
- Getting the most out of your consultation (video)
- Happy birthday Viagra (poem)
- Head lice (poem)
- Healthy resolutions
- Hug me, I've got herpes (poem)
- In praise of glasses
- Is my vagina normal? (video)
- Learning from America
- Male breast enlargement (video)
- Masturbation - a user's guide
- Mine's not so big
- Penis Part 1: The Foreskin (video)
- Penis Part 2: Lumps, bumps & STIs (video)
- Penis Part 3: Size, shape & firmness (video)
- Pile Driver (poem)
- PIP breast implants (video)
- Premature ejaculation
- Scrotal lumps (video)
- Sweating (video)
- The joy of hair
- You and your warts